Agreements of Cooperation Guidelines
Guidelines for Agreements of Cooperation with International Institutions
The University of California, Davis is interested in establishing relationships with international universities and research institutions to facilitate a wide variety of intellectual interactions and exchanges. As a result, UC Davis has entered into a number of general and specific working agreements with international institutions, most of them at the initiative of individual faculty members.
UC Davis Definitions:
Agreement of Cooperation
The term Agreement of Cooperation refers to a general, non-binding agreement to collaborate or cooperate.
The term Working Agreement refers to specific agreements that follow the implementation of an Agreement of Cooperation. These working agreements generally outline the specifics, logistics or details of a particular collaborative effort.
To encourage such collaborations the following guidelines should be observed when pursuing such international agreements:
- All proposed Agreements of Cooperation must utilize the standard UC Davis Agreement of Cooperation form (November 2016) obtained from Office of Vice Provost and Associate Chancellor, Global Affairs web site or by phone at (530) 754-9707.
- For each Agreement of Cooperation, an active UC Davis faculty member and a partner institution faculty member will be identified as the primary contacts.
- All proposed Agreements of Cooperation and Working Agreements must be routed for review to Global Affairs Office of Vice Provost and Associate Chancellor. That office may confer with staff in the Office of the Vice Chancellor-Research, the Office of the Vice Provost-Undergraduate Studies, the Dean-Graduate Studies or other UC Davis departments and resources regarding revisions to the standard Agreement of Cooperation language.
- An Agreement of Cooperation is finalized when the head of the partner institution and Global Affairs Vice Provost and Associate Chancellor sign two originals of the Agreement. Each institution will retain one signed original for their record.
- The Agreement of Cooperation should be supplemented by Working Agreements with colleges, schools, departments, etc. provided: (1) the Agreement of Cooperation has been properly executed; and (2) Global Affairs Vice Provost and Associate Chancellor has reviewed the proposed Working Agreement(s).
- The appropriate UC Davis dean(s) and his counterpart(s) in the partner institution must sign two original specific working agreements. The Dean has signature authority for these arrangements and may choose to include the signatures of the appropriate department chair(s) and/or director(s).
- The dean's authorization of a Working Agreement (denoted by the dean’s signature) confirms the college or school’s responsibility for ensuring any resource commitment is available at the appropriate school, college, department or unit level as outlined within the text of that agreement.
- Every two years, on February 1 the UC Davis primary contact shall provide Office of Global Affairs with a brief report summarizing activity for the previous two years and plans for the remaining two years.
For questions regarding these procedures, please contact the Office of Global Affairs Vice Provost and Associate Chancellor, by e-mail at email@example.com or mail at
University of California, Davis
International Center Suite 3120
463 California Ave.
Davis, CA 95616
For more information
UC Davis, Davis Campus: Parvin Damania, firstname.lastname@example.org, (530) 754-9707
UC Davis Health System: Tod Stoltz, email@example.com