Advancing the UN SDGs, Together
The three-part series of forums is centered around UC Davis engagement with sustainable development across economic, social and environmental dimensions. The forums aim to build a campuswide community deeply committed to advancing the SDGs, and stimulate the creation of a UC Davis community of practice to think and work together and help chart a course for intentional and sustained commitment to the SDGs agenda.
Upcoming Coffee Hours on the SDGs
UC Davis Global Affairs, the Sustainability office, and Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion invite faculty, staff, students, and campus affiliates to join upcoming Coffee Hours on the SDGs over Zoom to share about their work contributing towards the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), connect and engage with others, and learn more about new opportunities, including UC Davis’ Voluntary University Review of engagement with the SDGs.
The informal gatherings are being held:
- February 18, 5—6 p.m. PST
- February 23, 3—4 p.m. PST
- March 3, 10—11 a.m. PST
- March 11, 2—3 p.m. PST
Spring 2021: UC Davis Forum on the UN SDGs
Save the Date: May 19, 2021 | 4—5 p.m. PST
Winter 2021: UC Davis Forum on the UN SDGs
The virtual Winter 2021 Forum on the UN SDGs on February 11 focused on the connections between the SDG Agenda and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion efforts, and highlighted ways that UC Davis is contributing to specific SDGs, including Zero Hunger, Climate Action, and more. This event is free and open to the public.
February 11, 2021 | 9—10 a.m. PST
- Featuring: Joanna Regulska, Vice Provost and Dean of Global Affairs at UC Davis
- Connecting SDGs and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Featuring: Renetta Garrison Tull, Vice Chancellor of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at UC Davis, Helen Bond, Associate Professor of Curriculum and Instruction in the School of Education at Howard University, and Natalia Deeb-Sossa, Professor of Chicana/o Studies at UC Davis
- Spotlighting UC Davis Contributions to the SDGs
- Featuring: Arturo Condo, President of Earth University, and Ermias Kebreab, Associate Dean of Global Engagement and Director of the World Food Center in the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences at UC Davis
- Featuring: Katharina Ullman, Director of the Student Farm in the Agricultural Sustainability Institute at UC Davis
- Featuring: Bernadette Austin, Acting Director of the Center for Regional Change at UC Davis
- Open Discussion
- Moderated by: Camille Kirk, Director of Sustainability and Campus Sustainability Planner, Office of Sustainability at UC Davis
- Closing and Announcements
Attendees are encouraged to engage throughout the forums using the chat feature in Zoom, proposing questions for the group and providing updates on their projects related to the SDGs. We also encourage you to share your projects and experiences with the UN SDGs on Twitter, using #UCDavisSDGs and @UCDavisGlobal, @UCD_Diversity, and @UCDavisSustain.
Fall 2020: UC Davis Forum on the UN SDGs
The inaugural UC Davis Forum on the UN SDGs showcased UC Davis activities that contribute to the SDGs and began to build a UC Davis community of practice around the SDGs. It also provided specific resources and upcoming engagement opportunities.
October 21, 2020 | 3–4 p.m. PST
- Developing our Foundation for SDGs Engagement at UC Davis
- Featuring: Joanna Regulska, Vice Provost and Dean - Global Affairs, Renetta Garrison Tull, Vice Chancellor of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, and Camille Kirk, Director of Sustainability and Campus Sustainability Planner
- Special guest: Gbemi Disu, Chief Business Officer for George Mason University's Korea Campus
- Spotlighting UC Davis Contributions to the SDGs Agenda, Featuring Faculty and Student Projects:
- Zoonotic Disease Spillover from Wildlife
Christine Kreuder Johnson, School of Veterinary Medicine Professor of Epidemiology and Ecosystem Health; Director of PREDICT Program; Director of EpiCenter for Disease Dynamics; and Associate Director of the One Health Institute
- Oceans, Ecosystems and People
John Largier, College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences Professor of Coastal Oceanography; and Associate Director of International Programs at the Coastal and Marine Sciences Institute
- Sustainable Aquaculture
Nisha Marwaha, College of Engineering Alumna (B.S., Biological Systems Engineering '18 and M.S., Biological Systems Engineering '20); and Alternative Seafood Intern at CGIAR, WorldFish (Malaysia)
- Global Health and Wellness Through Inter-Professional Education and Shared Practice
Laura Van Auker, Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing Assistant Clinical Professor
- Zoonotic Disease Spillover from Wildlife
- Identifying Paths for Involvement in the SDGs Agenda
- Next Steps
“The SDGs connect UC Davis with the world and provide us with a globally-recognized framework for collaborations that find solutions for today’s most critical global challenges,” said Joanna Regulska, vice provost and dean of Global Affairs. "The SDG Agenda connects the local and global, which is critical especially in the midst of COVID-19, as we mitigate challenges in California and around the world. These forums are an exciting way to bring together UC Davis expertise, experience, and engagement with the SDGs to celebrate and galvanize our contributions towards these goals over the next decade.”
Learn more from Vice Provost and Dean Regulska, Vice Chancellor of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Renetta Garrison Tull, and Director of Sustainability and Campus Sustainability Planner Camille Kirk about the forums.
If you have questions or would like more information, please contact Jolynn Shoemaker, director of global engagements in Global Affairs, at firstname.lastname@example.org.