About the UN SDGs
In 2015, the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) were adopted by all UN member states as a "blueprint to achieve a better and more sustainable future for all."
The SDGs address the major global challenges facing human society, including poverty, inequality, climate change, environmental degradation, peace and justice.
UC Davis is actively supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) through innovation and collaboration in teaching, research and service, focusing on two central goals:
- To raise awareness and inspire involvement in the SDGs among the UC Davis community
- To participate in meaningful ways in the SDG Agenda with collaborators around the world
UC Davis students, faculty, and staff are addressing all 17 UN SDGs in the U.S. and across more than 70 countries around the world.
About the University Voluntary Review on the SDGs
To support these goals, in 2021, UC Davis plans to complete a campuswide SDG Voluntary University Review (VUR).
Similar to Voluntary National Reviews, which governments around the world pursue to share experiences, strengthen policies and institutions, and mobilize stakeholders and partnerships to accelerate implementation of the SDG Agenda, along with Voluntary Local Reviews (a way for cities to do the same), universities can pursue Voluntary University Reviews (VURs).
UC Davis is pursuing a Voluntary University Review to support our university’s role as a public land-grant institution in advancing this important agenda for humankind. UC Davis Global Affairs, the Office of Sustainability, and the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are spearheading this effort.
Objectives for the UC Davis VUR
- Begin to measure UC Davis progress in addressing the SDGs
- Build SDG awareness and inspire involvement among faculty, students, staff across campus units
- Bring together campus strengths in internationalization, sustainability and diversity, equity and inclusion towards the SDG Agenda
- Inform UC Davis SDG-related programs and projects with collaborators across campus, the community, region and globally
Below is a tentative timeline of the UC Davis Voluntary University Review (VUR).
- February 2021: UC Davis holds its second SDG Forum, a part of a three-part series: the UC Davis Forums on the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- February - March 2021: Global Affairs, the Office of Sustainability, and the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion host "Coffee Hours on the UN SDGs" to collect input on the VUR process from the campus community
- February - May 2021: Global Affairs, the Office of Sustainability, and the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion continue to seek input from the community
- March 2021: Announcement of the recipients of the second round of Grants for Advancing Sustainable Development Goals, an initiative now jointly supported by Global Affairs, the Office of Sustainability, and the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- May 2021: UC Davis holds its third SDG Forum, the final part of a three-part series: the UC Davis Forums on the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Summer 2021: Global Affairs, the Office of Sustainability, and the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion complete data collection/validation efforts for the VUR and begin the drafting process.
- Fall 2021: UC Davis publishes the results of its first Voluntary University Review (VUR) and introduces a web resource to highlight the results.
How to Get Involved
Members of the UC Davis community are invited to share their SDG efforts through this online portal. This information will be used to inform the Voluntary University Review. It will also be available on a dashboard designed to facilitate SDG connections, collaborations and funding opportunities for faculty, students, staff, and others across UC Davis.
Upcoming Coffee Hours on the SDGs
UC Davis Global Affairs, the Sustainability office, and Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion invite faculty, staff, students, and campus affiliates to join upcoming Coffee Hours on the SDGs over Zoom to share about their work contributing towards the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), connect and engage with others, and learn more about new opportunities, including UC Davis’ Voluntary University Review of engagement with the SDGs.
The informal gatherings are being held:
- February 18, 5- 6 p.m. PST
- February 23, 3- 4 p.m. PST
- March 3, 10- 11 a.m. PST
- March 11, 2- 3 p.m. PST
More Opportunities Related to UC Davis Engagement with the UN SDGs
- UC Davis Engagement with the UN SDGs. Recognizing the connections between local and global, UC Davis is working to address the most pressing social and environmental problems of our time, while directly supporting social mobility to achieve a more equitable society in California and beyond.
- Forums on the SDGs. These quarterly forums are focused on stimulating a UC Davis community of practice to work together and help chart a course for intentional and sustained commitment to the SDGs.
- Conference Grants for SDGs. These grants support UC Davis faculty, staff, and student participation in important dialogues, facilitate global connections and collaborative relationships, and expand the visibility of campus efforts that promote the SDG Agenda.
- SDGs Action and Awareness Week. In collaboration with the University Global Coalition, UC Davis will be promoting awareness of and action related to the SDGs, including through online events and activities, March 1-5, 2021.
- Grants for Advancing Sustainable Development Goals. Each year, these grants facilitate multidisciplinary and global faculty teams working on the economic, social, and environmental issues that are critical to humankind at the local, regional, national, and international levels.
- SDG Internship for Students. Committed to fueling awareness and implementation of the SDGs, Global Affairs created an internship so students could more directly support the advancement of these goals.
- Campus Global Theme. The Campus Global Theme program identifies a topic linked to one or more of the SDGs and engages the entire UC Davis community in related discussion, learning, discovery, and action.
- Global Conversations Series. This ongoing events series facilitates knowledge-sharing among UC Davis experts and external experts on global topics, challenges and opportunities—including those outlined in the SDGs.
- Global Aggies Confronting Global Challenges. Read some of the stories of members of the UC Davis community collaborating with communities, locally and globally, to confront global challenges and contribute towards the SDGs.
Sign up for Global Affairs newsletters to stay connected. If you have questions or would like more information, please contact Jolynn Shoemaker, director of global engagements in Global Affairs, at email@example.com.