Statement of Support for the Asian and Pacific Islander Community
From Atlanta to the Bay Area and around the world, the escalation of anti-Asian attacks and rhetoric is deeply disturbing. We extend our deepest condolences to our students, scholars, faculty, staff, partners, and all those affected by the recent tragedies. UC Davis Global Affairs stands in solidarity with the Asian and Pacific Islander community and we join Chancellor Gary S. May and colleagues in condemning abhorrent violence, threats, and discrimination. The diversity of our campus is one of our greatest strengths. We all benefit tremendously from welcoming the brightest students, faculty, and staff from all over the world to our UC Davis community.
We reaffirm our commitment to the UC Davis Principles of Community and we strongly support UC Davis’ expectation that all members of its community reject discrimination in any form, and create an environment of respect for all. There are several resources for members of the UC Davis Asian and Pacific Islander community who have been affected by discrimination, racism, and recent reports of violence. We encourage you to reach out to these services if you are feeling anxiety, stress, or grief, or to connect with community. These services are here to help.
- For students in the U.S.: You may find that talking to someone is helpful in processing everything you are going through. Make an appointment through Student Health and Counseling Services, which provides services to all registered students in the U.S.
- For scholars, faculty, and staff in the U.S.: The Academic and Staff Assistance Program offers confidential and cost-free assessment, counseling, consultation, and referral services to all UC Davis and UC Davis Health faculty, staff, and families. For scholars located in Davis, please call (530) 752-2727 for an appointment. For scholars in Sacramento, please call (916) 734-2727 for an appointment.
- The Harassment & Discrimination Assistance and Prevention Program at UC Davis supports the university's commitment to a harassment- and discrimination-free work and learning environment for all members of the UC Davis, UC Davis Health, and University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources (ANR) campuses. Contact them for support or report an incident.
- UC Davis Cross Cultural Center offers a robust list of community resources to help students find and connect with peers.
- Asian Pacific Islander Retention Initiative is dedicated to the academic, personal, and professional success of all UC Davis students who identify with the Asian and Pacific Islander community.
We stand with you in community and reaffirm our commitment to fostering an inclusive environment, locally and globally.
Vice Provost and Dean - Global Affairs
Associate Vice Provost, Global Education and Services, Global Affairs
Director, Services for International Students and Scholars, Global Affairs