By Jana Sanders Perry, communications manager, Global Affairs
UC Davis Global Affairs will celebrate the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) Action and Awareness Week, March 1-5, 2021, with a collection of events spotlighting UC Davis’ commitment to addressing global challenges through the SDGs, including a student event hosted on March 3 by Global Affairs SDG interns and students from Earth University in Costa Rica.
Led by the University Global Coalition (UGC), the first annual UN Sustainable Development Goals Action and Awareness Week aims to promote awareness of the SDGs among students in higher education and inspire them to take action in furtherance of the goals on their campuses and in their local community. The 17 SDGs cover a broad array of global challenges from SDG 2: Zero Hunger to SDG 3: Good Health and Well-Being to SDG 6: Clean Water and Sanitation to SDG 13: Climate Action.
“At UC Davis, a lot of the work our students, faculty, researchers, and staff do, whether intentionally or unintentionally, addresses at least one of the SDGs,” notes Jolynn Shoemaker, director of global engagement in Global Affairs. “By participating in opportunities like SDG Action and Awareness Week, we can share how our campus leads the way with this critical work and spread awareness throughout the campus community of how we are working toward similar or connected goals.”
UC Davis will participate in the Decade of Action, a new UGC initiative and call to action for universities to engage, collaborate, and lead in achieving the SDGs. In support of this participation, on March 3, UC Davis and Earth University in Costa Rica will co-lead the SDG 2: Zero Hunger effort for the UGC. Global Affairs SDG student interns and students from Earth University will host an event for all students. The discussion will focus on the SDG 2: Zero Hunger effort to help students better understand how it is being addressed on campus and how they can continue to make it a priority over the next decade.
During SDG Action and Awareness Week, Global Affairs invites the UC Davis community around the globe to learn about, celebrate, and share important efforts addressing global challenges through a series of virtual events. Below is a sampling of just some of the events planned for the UC Davis community. For more information about the other student events that UGC is planning throughout the week, visit UGC for the full schedule.
SDG Action & Awareness Week: UC Davis Events
- SDG Coffee Hour for the UC Davis Community
- March 3, 2021, 10-11 a.m. (PST)
- UC Davis Global Affairs, the Sustainability office, and Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion invite faculty, staff, students, and campus affiliates to join upcoming Coffee Hours on the SDGs over Zoom to share about their work contributing towards the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), connect and engage with others, and learn more about new opportunities, including UC Davis’ Voluntary University Review of engagement with the SDGs.
- UC Davis and Earth University Students Addressing UN SDG 2: Zero Hunger
- March 3, 2021, 1-2 p.m. (PST)
- UC Davis SDG student interns and Earth University students are hosting a student-oriented symposium to highlight efforts on SDG 2: Zero Hunger, including the work being done at both universities and the student farms on each campus. Questions and topics covered during both segments will include issues about student involvement and how students can contribute towards the SDG Agenda in their own communities.
- Students Addressing UN SDG 6: Clean Water & Sanitation: Perspectives from Newcastle University and UC Davis
- March 4, 2021, 9-10:30 a.m. (PST)
- In partnership with Newcastle University in England, UC Davis Global Affairs is proud to present a panel event addressing SDG 6: Clean Water and Sanitation. Panelists, including students and faculty, will share their work, reflect on what they have gained by engaging with the work of others, and impart other key learnings. This event is open to the public.
- 6th Annual International Connections Reception
- March 4, 2021, 5-6 p.m. (PST)
- More information and to register
- Global Affairs invites the UC Davis community for an evening of networking and celebration of globally-engaged faculty, staff, and scholars. We will announce the winners of the Chancellor's Awards for International Engagement, and Excellence in Teaching in Study Abroad Awards, and acknowledge the recipients of or participants in the following Global Affairs programs: Seed Grants for International Activities, Grants for Advancing Sustainable Development Goals, Curriculum Enhancement Program Cohort, Faculty and Staff Ambassadors, and Global Education for All Steering Committee and Fellows.